- 1 x 400g (14oz.) Jar Artichoke Hearts
- 450g (16oz.) Asparagus, cut into 5cm/2 inch pieces
- 350g (12oz.) Brown Rice
- 200g (7oz.) Fresh Tomatoes, chopped
- 100g (4oz.) Sweetcorn Kernals
- 100g (4oz.) Frozen Peas
- 100g (4oz.) Celery, chopped, drained and quartered (reserve the liquid)
- A generous pinch of saffron
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Vegetable Stock or water (see method for amount)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp. Freshly chopped Thyme
- 1 tblsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Red Pepper, Chopped
- 1 Yellow Pepper, chopped
- Salt and Black Pepper
1. Use a medium size saucepan to add the saffron, salt, artichoke liquid and rice. Add enough stock or water to cover the rice with 2.5cm (1 inch) of liquid, stir well, and boil; reduce the heat and simmer for about 50 minutes covering the saucepan. Once the rice is ready, add more water if you feel it's necessary.
2. Use a large saucepan to heat the oil, add the celery, onion and garlic, and sauté until soft.
3. Add capsicum, thyme and asparagus, and stir well. Cover and sauté over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 7 minutes, add a little water to prevent from sticking.
4. Add the tomatoes, peas, sweetcorn and artichoke hearts, stir well and simmer for about 8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Spice the vegetables with a little extra olive oil.
6. At last, serve immediately onto warmed plates, a pile of the rice with spoons of the vegetable mixture on top.
» Spain Recipes