- 225g (8oz.) of sugar
- 225g (8oz.) of almonds with skins, finely grinded
- 300ml (10fl.oz.) of Whipping Cream
- 1/4 tsp. grated Lemon Rind
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon For the filling and topping
- 1/4 tsp. of sugar
- 1 tsp. of Brandy
- 7 eggs
- Finely chopped Almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (180°C), gas Mark 4.
2. Lightly grease and flour 2x20cm round sandwich tins.
3. Mix the lemon rind, sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the cinnamon and almonds, and stir well.
4. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff.
5. Mix a few tablespoons of the egg white with the almond mixture to lighten it a little, and then add it to the rest of the egg whites.
6. Use the sandwich tins to transfer the mixture and bake for about 48 minutes, or until the cakes are well cooked.
7. Leave to cool for a few minutes, then remove the cakes from the tins, and use wire racks to cool them.
8. To make the topping- whisk the brandy, cream and sugar in a mixing bowl, until stiff. Spread half the mixture on one of the cakes then place the other cake on top, and coat the top and sides of the double layered cake. It is possible to adorn with chopped almonds.
» Spain Recipes