- 600ml/1pt Chicken Stock.
- 10 Saffron Strands.
- 3 Rashers Back Bacon.
- 350g/12oz Boneless Chicken Breasts, skinned.
- 2 tblsp. Olive Oil.
- 225g/8oz Onions thinly sliced.
- 1 Green Capsicum, (sweet pepper) deseeded and thinly sliced.
- 1 Red Capsicum deseeded and thinly sliced.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed.
- 1 x 400g/14oz tin Chopped Tomatoes.
- 250g/9oz Long Grain Rice.
- 250g/9oz Squid.
- 400g/14oz Live Mussels.
- 200g/7oz Frozen Peas.
- 12 Fresh Unpeeled Prawns.
- 3 tblsp. Fresh parsley, chopped.
- 3 tblsp. Dry White Wines.
1. Bring the stock to the boil, add the saffron, stir and set aside. Cut the chicken into 2.5cm cubes and cut the bacon into 12mm strips.
2. Use a large pan to heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, add the chicken and bacon, and lightly brown. Use a slotted spoon to take them out, and set aside.
3. Add the remaining oil to the pan, add the peppers, onions and garlic, and simmer for about 13 minutes, until they are softened but not colored.
4. Add the tomatoes, bring the mixture to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture has thickened slightly.
5. Add the rice, bacon, chicken, salt and stock, and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes without disturbing after cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid.
6. Clean the squid and cut in pieces. Scrub well the mussels, put away any that are open or damaged.
7. Add the mussels, squid, peas and wine to the rice at the end of the 25 minutes cooking time, and cook it until the rice has absorbed all the stock and the mussels have all opened (around 10 minutes), discard any that remain closed. Add a little water, if the mixture sticks to the pan.
8. Season the meal with plenty of black pepper then add the whole prawns on top and scatter them, cover and cook for about 4 minutes, until all prawns are heated through.
9. At last, serve immediately, after sprinkling the parsley over the paella.
» Spain Recipes