- 10 Saffron Strands.
- 3 Rashers Back Bacon.
- 225g (8oz.) Onions thinly sliced.
- 250g (9oz.) Short Grain Rice.
- 250g (9oz.) Squid.
- 200g (7oz.) Frozen Peas.
- 175g (6oz.) Boneless Chicken Breasts.
- 125g (5oz.) Sea Bass, cut into chunks.
- 600ml/1pt Chicken Stock.
- 60ml (2fl.oz.) Olive Oil.
- 1/2 Green Capsicum, (sweet pepper).
- 1/2 Red Capsicum (sweet Pepper).
- 12 Raw Unpeeled Prawns.
- 8 Live Mussels.
- 8 Live Clams.
- 4 Tomatoes, chopped.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed.
- 3 tblsp. Dry White Wine.
- 3 tblsp. Fresh parsley, chopped.
1. Cook the saffron and set aside until needed. Cut the bacon into 12mm (1/2 inch) strips and cut the chicken into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes.
2. In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, add the chicken and bacon, lightly gild. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add the remaining oil to the pan, add the peppers, onions and garlic, and simmer for 10-15 minutes until they are softened.
4. Add the tomatoes, boil and reduce the heat and stirring frequently, simmer for about 10 minutes, until the mixture has thickened slightly.
5. Add rice, chicken, stock, bacon and salt and boil. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for around 25 minutes without stirring.
6. Clean well the squid, cut pieces, and the mussels.
7. Add the mussels, bass, clams, squid, peas, and wine to the rice at the end of the 25 minutes cooking time and cook until the rice has absorbed all the stock, and the mussels have all opened, but discard those that remain closed. Add some water, if the mixture sticks to the pan.
8. Season with a lot of black pepper, spread the prawns on top, cover and cook for around 3-4 minutes until all the prawns are heated through.
9. Finally, sprinkle the parsley over the paella and serve immediately.
» Spain Recipes